A Regional Tour of American Indian Cultures
One of the Museum’s permanent exhibitions “A Regional Tour of American Indian Cultures” will take you through the major regions of the US and Canada and highlight the art and material culture of the tribes who live there. There are over 1,200 federally recognized tribes that live across the US and Canada with differing though similar cultures, languages, and stories. The regions include: Woodlands, Plains, Southwest, Northwest Coast and California, and the Arctic/Sub-Arctic. While exploring each region, you will learn about: Housing, Transportation, Food, Clothing, Art, and Design.
Private Museum Experiences
We are now offering visitors the option to schedule two-hour private, onsite tours starting on February 1, 2022. Guests can discover the museum with a docent-led tour Monday-Friday from 10am-12pm and 12:30pm-2:30pm.
For the safety of our guests and staff, the Mitchell Museum can accommodate private tours for classes or groups ranging from 10-60 people. Reservations must be made in advance with a $25 deposit due upon booking. As we continue to monitor the COVID-19 pandemic, we may postpone or cancel tours due to rising numbers. Masks are strongly encouraged while visiting.
Tour Pricing Information
Groups will be led on a 90-minute tour of our ongoing exhibit Regional Tour of American Indian Cultures by one of our highly trained docents who will highlight the cultural similarities and differences within and between the five distinct geographic regions. The tour also includes time in the teaching lodge, which houses our life-size hunting wigwam and traditional games. You also get to pick a hands-on craft activity that participants make and take home!
Price per person:
- Seniors (65+), Youth/Teens (3-17), Students and Teachers/Professors with ID – $7.00
- Adults (18-64) – $9.00
Book Your Tour
For more information, please call Visitor Services at (847)475-1030 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The virtual tour provides the same experience as the in-person tour and consists of:
- Video – Our docents will lead the class through the exhibit’s five regions
- Worksheets – Each region will come with its own worksheets, lesson plans, craft activity, and even a recipe to make at home
- Docent Q&A (add-on) – Teachers will also have the capability to schedule a live docent Q&A to stream into their classroom via Zoom.
Virtual Tour Pricing Information
- $50 on Eventive for 7 days
- $25 Docent Q&A via Zoom for 20 minutes – email email@example.com